Thursday, January 01, 2009

In the beginning....

Welcome, 2009! Wow, it's hard to believe we're almost at the end of the first decade of the 21st century.

I decided to take a look backward. 1957 is a good year to look at since that was the year I was born. So, what kinds of things happened that year?

Wham-o Company produces its first Frisbee! (I guess it took a while to become popular because I was 11 the first time I played with a Frisbee)

Dr. Suess' The Cat In The Hat is published. (I remember reading it as a little girl, then reading it to my kids, and then to my grandkids - one of those timeless classics!)

Dwight Eisenhower was President and Richard Nixon was Vice President (anyone remember that Nixon was once a VP?)

There were only 48 states in the United States. (Alaska and Hawaii weren't included until 1959) That means that the US Flag even looked different.



Postage stamps were only 3 cents! And you had to lick them to get them to stick to the envelope!



Leave It To Beaver permieres. (I loved this show as a kid)



And here is what a computer looked like in 1957:



And finally, here are some predictions from 1957 that didn't come true:

Built to last with technology of the future, the RCA black-and-white 18-inch television will remain the industry standard.

Advanced technology allows people to play phonograph records in their cars -- with no skipping! (do they get points for kind of being right?)

Atomic-powered flying cars will free us forever from the tyranny of 29-cent-per-gallon gasoline. (bummer this one didn't pan out.)

The U.S. tax code will become so simplified that every household can file a tax return in three easy steps. (unless you count "how much do you make?" "send it in" as fulfilling this prediction)

By 2007, the immorality of the beatnik movement will signal the end of civilization. (the hippies lasted longer than the beatniks and this same prediction was made about them)

So, that was a peek into the world I entered. Things have changed and will continue to change. It'll be interesting to see how we'll perceive 2009 in another 50 years.

4 comments:

Jinglebob said...

I had no idea you had a blog! Sure, give me one other thing to read so I don't get that much work done. I have no discipline what so ever. And I have come to terms with it!

By the way, I think the hippies were the beatniks and they are the ones who have messed up this country now!

Anonymous said...

Wow Ruth, Robert is always the one keeping in touch. I thought I would just jump in and say hello, and congratulations on a great looking family.

Ruth said...

Is that you, Cindy? I really enjoy keeping up with your family through the blogs. It makes me feel closer to the family without the cold!

Since we've lost the grandparents, we really cherish the extended family and cousins.

Thanks for your kind note.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, bummer that we don't have flying cars yet, but I'll take the 29¢ gas!

About Me

My photo
Longview, Texas
In the autumn of my life, I am very content.

Followers